- Over the river, and through the wood—
- And straight through the barnyard gate,
- We seem to go extremely slow,
- It is so hard to wait!
Lydia Marie Child
The children spent the last week with Oma and Opa, some of which we spent in Rome and some of which home and here. They think of the time with Oma and Opa as being a form of adventure camp. In the last week they have:
- taken a boat trip, which Opa did the narration for,
- visited a sculptress and had a lecture and gotten a fragment of marble as souvenir
- visited an apiary, talked to the bee-keeper, examined the hives and poured their own honey into their own jars
- learned how to consistently, and at a high level, make princess crowns and decorate them
- wandered and picnicked in many places, by foot and by bike, including the river above
- visited a cousin and seen his sheep and ridden some local ponies
- visited friends and had American-German style barbecue and batted at whiffle balls
- bonded with cousins and spent time with the beloved Grosseltern and increased their Wortschatz and grammar tremendously.